Re: Partitions ?? Boot flag ??

On 18-01-08 10:52, Onkar wrote:

i have two disks sda(160GB) and sdb (80GB) I want my root fs on sdb ?? What is the significance of Boot flag ???

Nothing really, for non MS operating systems at least. The BIOS loads the first sector (MBR, Master Boot Record) from disk and executes the code found there. The old "standard" MBR code that MS-DOS/Windows put there then went looking for the first primary partition with its "Bootable" flag set and loaded the bootsector from that one in turn.

I suppose that whatever current versions of Windows put there these days might also still care but if you use another MBR such as the one from LILO or Grub the flag hasn't any effect -- if you start an MS operating system from it, it or some disk utility running under it might like to see one partition with the flag set, but that's it. Linux doesn't care.

and the there are K for RAID and LVM partitions what are those ?

No idea. But -- having your root partition on /dev/sdb<N> is not something the BIOS needs to be concerned with. Just make sure that whatever is in the MBR (the first sector from the disc that your told your BIOS to boot, to be "the C drive" in DOS/Windows terminology) knows about /dev/sdb and the partitions on it and have it load the kernel from there.

Rene.