Re: Does excessive use of printk corrupt log buffer?

On 11/01/2008, Shreyansh <shreyansh.jain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer <at> gmail.com> writes:
> ----8<----
> > If you want to have a high quality copy of the messages on disk, then
> > make your own copy.  ie. "dmesg > my-dmesg-copy"
> >
> > The negative with dmesg is that the kernel's buffer is a fifo.  If for
> > some reason it is too small for the amount of logging you need, then
> > you can adjust the size and make as big as you need.
> ---8<----
>
> Hi Greg and list,

note: usually you should leave people you reply to on Cc:  ( or To: ) .

> Thanks, I will try with that as well. I understand the limitation of dmesg being
> circluar log buffer, but I think that if I re-direct data into my own copy
> (file) I should be able to tackle that problem.
>
> Nevertheless, I still would like to know if actually someone has observed log
> data corruption in view of excessive printks (or it might be happening on my
> machine due to some other yet-undetected problem).

Well, if you have the kernels log buffer set to a very small value and
you generate a lot of log messages very fast, then sure the buffer can
get "corrupted" by new messages overwriting old ones before they can
be read.
The easy solution, as Greg also pointed out, is to increase the size
of the kernels log buffer so it is large enough to accomodate the
amount of data you throw at it. It's simple, just adjust the
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT option in menuconfig (General Setup --> Kernel
log buffer size) - just set it really high, like 18 or so, or higher -
sure, you'll waste some memory, but that's usually not so important
when debugging :) .

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html