Re: Ext3 layout and I/O performace

Hi Yu

> 1.Why the performances under different subdirs varies so much? for example
> in /mnt/test/0 the performance is 72/80, while in /mnt/test/1 the
> performance is 49/53

I think I agree with Thomas that physical data location does matter
here. Also, do you reformat the partition before every iteration of
the test?

> 2.The extents of all files are nearly the same, but their performances are
> different. Are there other factors that influence the performance beside of
> the extents(fragmentation) of the file?

Ehm, I/O allocator? block allocator (i think orlov allocator is the
default, but I don't if it's not the case anymore)
> 3.Is it true that more files exist in a directory, lower performance? for
> example the performance in /mnt/test/5/tmpfile is 66/75, while the
> performances in /mnt/test/5/tmpfile2 and tmpfile3 are 57/64 and 54/59

maybe it's a matter of dentry lookup, but once it's resolved, it will
be cached in dcache. So maybe it's a matter of icaching, since 5G file
(am I right) could take a lot of icaching (depends on block size too).

Final thought, have you considered to use non journalling mode? I
mean, i remember ext3 has 3 mode of journalling, pick the weakest one
and try to reduce flush out time.

regards,

Mulyadi