Re: I/O space specification

On 27-12-07 16:27, Grob Team wrote:

I've been looking on the net to find the specification of the I/O space for the x86. For example, something telling that writing 0x80 to the I/O port 0x70 will disable NMI. I thought it was maybe in the Intel Architectures Software Developer's Manuals but I didn't fint it in those
documents. Someone knows where it is?

Not really anywhere "endpoint authorative" basically. What you are referring to are legacy PC specifications. IBM designed the original PC and while they did actually document that one fairly well (as was customary in those days) the industry it triggered and which has lead us right into the current day state of the art has been less diligent over the years.

One of the most expansive and freely available references on legacy PC details is the famous (in DOS days, that is) "interrupt list" from Ralf Brown:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ralf/files.html

Books and (old) source code are other sources. Basically, while the legacy PC is a hodge-podge mix of implementation details, half, whole and defacto standards and "anyone's guess" best-practice specifications, it all tends to end up fairly well known anyways. The above interrupt list for example has a list of known ports as well.

But it's all not in a nicely condensed and specified place/format as you'd like to see. Sorry...

Rene.