Understanding patches

I see a lot of patches on LKML.
How does one understand against which source git tree this patch was created and if there are additional git trees on which this patch can be applied. Is there some inherent information in the patch which will help me understand this ?

Suppose I see a patch for a wireless driver that my system has. And I want to apply that to test/learn/experiment. How do I know whether it is safe/OK to apply the patch against the latest 2.6.24-rcX ?

How many kernels/trees do kernel developers usually keep on their boxes ? Are there some best practices in this area that you could share ?

Best regards,
Shourya

--
Shourya Sarcar