From: Adrian McMenamin <lkmladrian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Dec 2007 16:56
Subject: Correct use of __init and __devinit

Could someone here help settle this argument?

I have written a driver (for the CD Rom on the Sega Dreamcast). I have
marked various initialisation functions - including probe() and the
functions that it, and only it, calls, as __init.

Other developers tell me I should mark them as __devinit.

However I think this is wrong as:

* The CD on the Dreamcast is not and will never be a hotpluggable device

* The Dreamcast is a limited memory device and if marking various
functions as __init helps save memory that is A Good Thing

It has been put to me that while the use case (not hotpluggable) is
correct, it is still better practice to use __devinit

I have built the code with both __init and __devinit and both work, so
there is no issue of practicality as such here.

Adrian