Re: how to boot and print message

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:20:45PM +0530, balzar tondo wrote:
> i am not sure whether this is the correct forum to ask. i am a newbie to
> this forum and please pardon me if I violate any rule. i want to write a
> small code in Linux that will boot and print something. this is something
> very basic but I have no clue how this can be done. i searched the web and
> got some articles that require either the netwide assembler or as86.
> unfortunately i am running 64 bit debian and i have neither of these tools.

Those tools aren't dependent on the architecture you're running, so
debian should have them.

You can download the netwide assembler here:
http://nasm.sourceforge.net/

> I have gcc which I understand can also assemble assembly programs. could
> someone please guide me how to use gcc to write and build assembly programs
> that can be written into boot sector so that I can boot with it.

See, in Linux source code, arch/i386/boot/*.S. They use directives
instructing gcc to generate 16-bit code.

Also, check the sources of syslinux:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/

It's a Linux (and other things) booter, so it already does what you
want (and more, much more).

Oh, and yes, this definitely isn't the forum to ask. This is about
kernel development (for newbies), not about development under Linux.

Best of luck.

--
Luciano Rocha <luciano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Eurotux Informática, S.A. <http://www.eurotux.com/>