how to boot and print message

i am not sure whether this is the correct forum to ask. i am a newbie to this forum and please pardon me if I violate any rule. i want to write a small code in Linux that will boot and print something. this is something very basic but I have no clue how this can be done. i searched the web and got some articles that require either the netwide assembler or as86. unfortunately i am running 64 bit debian and i have neither of these tools. I have gcc which I understand can also assemble assembly programs. could someone please guide me how to use gcc to write and build assembly programs that can be written into boot sector so that I can boot with it.