Re: Kernel panic while calling device_add

A: No.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 12:44:35AM +0800, vichy wrote:
> hi Greg:
> I just want to understand the interactions of the bus, device and
> driver, since I am tracing the ehci host controller driver right now
> and still confused with them even I read Ldd3.

The way that USB uses the driver core is one of the most complex ways, I
would not be trying to understand this type of interaction by looking at
it :)

> The kernel version I used is 2.6.16.1.

A very old kernel version, why not use something that is not over 1 1/2
years old?

> By the way, would you please tell me where can I get any document
> about uevent, the callback entry located at bus_type and how to
> correctly read the kernel panic message?

What specifically do you want to know about this callback?  It is made
by the driver core whenever a uevent is about to be sent out by the
driver core so that the bus can add specific environment variables that
it might want to add to the event.

As for reading kernel oops messages, see the kernelnewbies wiki, I'm
pretty sure there is already a document there that describes how to do
this.

thanks,

greg k-h