Vanilla Kernel and Wireless

I use Ubuntu 7.10 as my environment of kernel studying. When booting with the kernel shipped with Ubuntu by default, the computer connects to a wireless network very well. But nor matter what configuration items I choose to compile a vanilla kernel 2.6.23.1, the wireless adapter configuration does not appear after booting with that kernel.

Is there any critical code making wireless work still not included by the mainstream kernel source  tree? Or with what compile settings the kernel will work with wireless (especially for Ubuntu, if possible :-) )?