Re: Recommendation for a dev system

On 12:01 Fri 26 Oct     , Pavan Kandepet wrote:
> Hello,
>       I'm pretty new to kernel development and would like to setup a ideal
> dev system for playing
>       around. I've read most of the documents posted on kernelnewbies and I
> specifically would
>       like to compile many kernels and play around with them.
>
>       I'd like to know what an ideal setup at home would be for this? What
> configuration do you
>       folks in this list have? Thanks for the help.
> -Pavan

Hi!

This depends on what you want to do. I recommend using a user mode linux
system if
	you want to test not-so-stable kernel versions/features
	it requires turning the userspace upside down in a way you don't want
	you don't want to reboot the whole pc to test a new kernel
Otherwise you can configure your boot loader to show a menu with both your
stable kernel and your test kernel. But be aware that uml can alter benchmark
results.

-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol