From: Tony Mouawad [mailto:tonym.ace@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:19 PM
To: Thippeswamy, Aravind
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: What is a "Software Interrupt"?

"Software Interrupts" within the context of tasklets can also be
called "Deferrable Functions".

Generally how it works is that a device such as your ethernet card
will trigger a "hardware interrupt" saying that there is data
received.  You will want to service hardware interrupts as quickly as
possible so what you end up doing when you are handling your hardware
interrupt is "schedule" a software interrupt or more appropriately
schedule a function (defer a function) to handle this receive request
at a moment outside of hardware interrupt handling.

I think that would be the concept behind software interrupts around
tasklets.  Does that help?

Tony.