Re: What is a "Software Interrupt" ?

I believe the book was referring to "softirqs", rather than "software interrupts". The latter, also called "Programmed Exceptions", are indeed triggered by an int instruction. The former, however, are a Linux-specific mechanism to handle interrupt bottom-halves, i.e., tasks that should be performed in response to a hardware interrupts, but can be deferred to a later time and thus reduce the time required by the interrupt handle itself. Tasklet are similar to softirqs, but need not be reentrant. spin_lock_bh indeed disables all bottom-half handling, including softirqs and tasklets.

You may refer to Chapter 4 in "Understanding the Linux Kernel", 3rd edition, for more information.

Elad

Thippeswamy, Aravind wrote:
Hi,

        What is a “Software Interrupt”? I was going thru the LDD 3 and stumbled upon this. There is an

instance while explaining spin_lock_bh() function that the author

mentions that this only disables the "Software Interrupts"( LDD 3,page

number 119). In the immediately next paragraph, these "Software

Interrupts" are linked to "tasklets". I am not able to fully understand

this point. It would be really nice if some one elaborated on this.

Regards,,

*Aravind.*

* *

"//Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"//**