Registered ISR is not invoked

Hi,

I am writing some Diagnostics code for a UART chip. I was able to write most of our test cases from application space using inb/outb calls.

To test the 'interrupts' generated by this device, i decided to use the same application space program to cause interrupts to be generated in the device and write a simple kernel module which just registers for the static IRQ line (4 in this case) using the request_irq() call and implements the ISR .

On 'insmod', i am able to see the registered module in /proc/interrupts.
The kernel i am using is 2.6.18.
On running the application program, I can see that a interrupt is generated in the UART.( By checking the respective register) But, the ISR I have registered is not getting called. I have tried registering the interrupt with and without sharing, with the same result.

Am i missing something ?

Thanks and regards
Chitra