testing garbage collection

Hi all,
I hope
I would like to know how to test basic correctness of garbage collection in a flash file system like JFFS.
I learnt from the web that

"The GC thread is started at the end of the mount process if the fs is not in readonly mode. GC thread works in the background and begins its operation:

Is there some test code or technique that can trigger garbage collection.
My basic problem is that i have a black box filesystem, and want to test if the filesystem is doing garbage collection.
Thanks in advance for  help.
Thanks,
Mugunthan