Module stacking & warnings

I am trying to implement module stacking for my embedded target.
Everything seems to work fine with no errors, but there are
disconcerting warnings in modpost and insmod.

1) Building a module that accesses exported symbols - I get an warning
for every symbol like:
WARNING: "<MY_SYMBOL>" [<kernel module>.ko] undefined!

I saw a similar issue pop up here almost two years ago:
http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/2006-01/msg00459.html
But it seems like no one had the answer.

2) Insmoding the module that accesses exported symbols - I get a warning
for the first symbol:
<kernel module>: no version for "<MY_SYMBOL>" found: kernel tainted.

I have not been so lucky in finding an answer to the second.  Note that
I am building against the same running kernel... I think this is a
distinct issue from 'no version for "struct_module"'.  Any pointers
would be greatly appreciated.
	Thank you,
		Michael