Re: linux kernel headers

On 14/09/2007, Nikolay N. Ivanov <nn@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But why my modules uses headers from KSRC/include/linux instead of
> /usr/include/linux? I clarify it because my OLD version of
> /usr/include/linux/version.h has UTS_RELEASE macro, whereas
> KSRC/include/linux/version.h (NEW kernel) hasn't one: kbuild complains,
> when I try to use UTS_RELEASE without including utsrelease.h.
>
> I wonder why system holds old version of kernel headers in
> /usr/include/linux.

The headers in /usr/include/linux/ and /usr/include/asm/ are the
headers your glibc were build against.
They do not have to match your running kernel version, but they must
match the headers glibc was build against or bad things happen.

Read (all of) this post by Linus for more details :
http://lkml.org/lkml/2000/7/27/10

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html