Re: linux kernel headers

Hi, Konstantin!

On Птн, Сен 14, 2007 at 09:09:25 +0200, Konstantin Boyanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, no the version.h in $KSRC/linux/include/ doesnt get generated
> when you compile the kernel. I didin't get your point, what are you trying
> to do actually with this file?

I'm trying to play with UTS_RELEASE, LINUX_VERSION_CODE and
KERNEL_VERSION() macros from this file. KSRC/include/linux/version.h is
presented on my local kernel tree. But when I type 'make mrproper' I see the
following output line:

CLEAN .config .config.old include/asm .version
include/linux/autoconf.h include/linux/version.h
include/linux/utsrelease.h Module.symvers

So, I don't agree with your point.

> As to your question - I think the difference is that in /usr/include are
> installed the headers for the current running kernel, and in
> $KSRC/include/linux reside the headers whit which you build the a new
> kernel.

But why my modules uses headers from KSRC/include/linux instead of
/usr/include/linux? I clarify it because my OLD version of
/usr/include/linux/version.h has UTS_RELEASE macro, whereas
KSRC/include/linux/version.h (NEW kernel) hasn't one: kbuild complains,
when I try to use UTS_RELEASE without including utsrelease.h.

I wonder why system holds old version of kernel headers in
/usr/include/linux.

--
Nikolay N. Ivanov