Re: trying to clarify initramfs processing

Is wrong initramfs can cause the kernel panic error
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

I have two different versions kernel, I am passing same parameters
to them at boot time from grub, but still one of them boot and other
doesn't boot.
It gives above "mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'" error.

When googled on this error, I came to know about its connection with initramfs
I will be of great help, If I can get some pointers about why
initramfs is there,
and how it influence the booting process ?

My grub entries are following, the first kernel boots without any problem
but second kernel doesn't boot.
{{{
title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16-2-686
root            (hd0,2)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-2-686 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-686
savedefault
boot

title           kernel 2.6.21 test kernel
root            (hd0,2)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd          /boot/initrd_2.6.21
savedefault
boot
}}}

On 9/8/07, dev <dev.akhawe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems to me that the kernel will first search for init in the
> initramfs file. If it doesn't find anything there it will boot up the
> legacy init. If it finds a init there, the init is run (which in most
> cases calls up the legacy init), When and exactly where initrd comes
> in I am not sure. All I wanted to say is that the initernal ramfs
> isn't unloaded anytime.
>
> Regards,
> duryodhan
>
> --