Re: how to know process is running in user/kernel space

Hi...
    we can see process info through top,ps, proc etc but how to get info
about in which space(kernel / user ) process is running?
Kinda hard to determine IMHO especially in user space. But, have you checked the WCHAN field in top?

Maybe what you need to do is to observe the user mode stack. How is it like when it gets switched out? End up with a call to int 0x80h or sysenter? Then most likely it was in kernel mode. But if it is not, then I think it is still running in user mode when getting preeempted (e.g it takes its whole assigned time slice).

I might miss few details here so pls CMIIW people.

regards,

Mulyadi