Re: Doubt on dev field in struct packet_type

On 7/16/07, Rajendra Stalekar <rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: pradeep singh [mailto:2500.pradeep@xxxxxxxxx]
[...]
> On 7/16/07, Rajendra Stalekar <rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

>> Correct queue of what is my question? The queue accessible by the
kernel??? Is that what u mean?
What is queue accessible by kernel? I do not understand this, sorry :-/.
All queues are accessible by kernel.

that queue would be something like completion queue i guess. CMIIW.

[...]
[...]
I dont know, but it is NULL.
I guess it may be of use but i cant thing of why would i force a
certain packet type to a net_device structure.
May be useful for VLAN and bonding drivers, which are the only
techniques seem to be bound to this field. Else there is no use of
putting of net_device field there i think.

You need to worry about handler, there is usually not a specific
protocol handler for a device. A device tied to just one protocol
looks too restrictive and i am not aware of such device(s).

>> Again even I felt that having only specific protocol handler for a
specific device is wrong, but that is what is mentioned in one of the
documents which I am going through.
I was only wondering how can we have a specific protocol handler for a
specific device.
The dev field assigned to NULL means that the protocol is enabled for all
devices.???

Yes that should be the correct method to deal with network devices.

[...]
packet types. Not evey packets received is of same type, some are arp
apckets, some are ICMP, some raw packets and so on so forth. There two
variables help you in finding the list of these packet types near to
you in an easy way.

>> I am aware about why they are there , but my question was when do we put
a packet in the ptype_all and when do we put them ptype_base?
Why are these 2 different packet_type structures used interchangeably?

Both are offcourse different. ptype_all is the list of all the
protocols you have at DLL layer. And ptype_base is further finer
categorisation of these DLL protocols. e.g you can have different
types of Ethernet protocols, all those are accomodated in the list for
ptype_base corresponding to ptype_all .

Thanks

Does this answer(s) your queries?

thanks