Re: Doubt on dev field in struct packet_type

On 7/16/07, Rajendra Stalekar <rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: pradeep singh [mailto:2500.pradeep@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 3:47 PM
To: rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Doubt on dev field in struct packet_type

On 7/16/07, Rajendra Stalekar <rajendra.stalekar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

>> What I meant by driver processing the packet implied that the poll method
of the driver processing it.
What I haven't got in your above statement is the "correct queue by the
driver's poll method?"
Isn't there only one kernel queue for the network layer to access?

accessing and moving are different.pkt_input_queue packets need to be
moved to some where else i.e a different queue or in the same queue at
the end prfereably(this is just and example)after they have been
processed.

[...]

>> What I meant to ask, was the struct net_device *dev in packet_type
structure mentioned that different protocol handlers for different devices
or a protocol handler for a specific device?
This is what I didn't get?
Can you tell me what this field struct net_device *dev in packet_type
structure do?

I dont know, but it is NULL.
I guess it may be of use but i cant thing of why would i force a
certain packet type to a net_device structure.
May be useful for VLAN and bonding drivers, which are the only
techniques seem to be bound to this field. Else there is no use of
putting of net_device field there i think.

You need to worry about handler, there is usually not a specific
protocol handler for a device. A device tied to just one protocol
looks too restrictive and i am not aware of such device(s).

BTW driver author does not have to worry about protocol handlers, you
just set the correct protocol type in your interrupt routine[refer my
earlier reply], and the correct handler is invoked without driver's
knowledge.

My other query is when do we use ptype_all and ptype_base?

packet types. Not evey packets received is of same type, some are arp
apckets, some are ICMP, some raw packets and so on so forth. There two
variables help you in finding the list of these packet types near to
you in an easy way.

Does this answer(s) your queries?

thanks

Regards,