reporting SMP/ACPI boot lockup

Hi.

I am looking to gather enough information about my kernel to report a rather
troublesome kernel bug; but am stuck on how to debug the issue.

My machine is a Core 2 Duo T7200 laptop:
    http://tstotts.net/linux/gentooinsp640m.html

The issue is this:

   At early boot-time the computer has an occasional case of halting to the
   CPU (freezing); requiring a physical reset and fresh attempt to power on.
   Occurs perhaps 1 of 8 boots.

   With kernel 2.6.21, the last messages displayed on the console were those
   of SMP hotpluging -- something along the lines of hotplugging CPU #1 and
   enabling NOHZ operation. The messages show no errors; it just deadlocks.

   With kernel 2.6.22, the last messages displayed on the console are mostly
   about ACPI flags/registers/values being incorrect/unexpected, with an
   explicit error message.

   The deadlock always occurs somewhat before the initialization of the VESA
   driver, but appears completely unrelated to the video.

   The deadlock appears to be directly related to one or more of: CPU
   hotplugging, NOHZ timer, generic ACPI support, generic PNP support.

Any recommendations on how to do the following would be greatly appreciated:

   Determine the driver that deadlocks.

   Log the very early boot console text to a file for easy copy-and-paste into
   Bugzilla. (The text is always earlier that the vga= initialization
   routine.)

   Any other method of looking into this issue.

Regards,
-timotheus