When/where does the init of a driver built into the kernel is called?

Hi All,

I am facing the following problem. I will describe it in the next
paragraph. I feel that I can debug it further if I know where the init
for each device is called (they are built into the kernel).Can someone
tell me which function will be calling those init functions?

I have a PXA255 board with P33 flash (CFI Revision 1.5) on it. The guy
who worked on this card before me was able to get it to a point where
the flash was being probed and I was getting a message "Unknown
Intel/Sharp Extended Query. Version 1.5". But, I do not have the
kernel/config file that he was using. Currently, the kernel that I
compile does not give any error message about the flash. It just hangs
after printing RAM disk init message. I tried adding a lot of printks
to cmdline parsing function (boot loader passes a mtdparts=XYZ to
kernel), flash driver and CFI probe function. I don't see any message
on the screen. The last message I see is "RAMDISK driver initialized:
16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024 blocksize". I was actually supposed
to fix the CFI revision issue. But, I can't even dream of that before
I get the kernel to probe the card!

Thanks & Regards,
Suseelan