RE: need help regarding linux kernel programming

Hi Devendra,

I think the best book to go about learning is Linux Kernel Programming --- Robert Love. This is for 2.6 kernel, which is currently the stable kernel and there are quite a lot of things which are different from the 2.4 kernel.

So go in for this book.

Also wherever you come across any problems browse through the net, there are few articles which are of great help.

However, what is of importance , you should also go through the FAQs also.

To setup your box, install the Linux (preferable Red Hat) and the kernel from www.kernel.org This gives you the latest kernel which is 2.6.21

From the above link you should get the source code.

Then follow the Robert Love’s book about how to go about building the kernel. Primarily there are lot of configuration parameters you need to set and this is done by doing

make config(command line i/f) or make xconfig

After successful completion, do a make by executing make 2> /dev/null

Once built , you can try inserting few modules, this again can be got from the net, by searching Linux Kernel Module Programming.

Follow the same subscription list to start with. This is a good list.

Folks, let me know if there is any other list which you can suggest, this list is better to learn the kernel.

Regards,

Rajendra Stalekar(extn 2016)

Location:- Akruti

Mobile no:- +91 9860501143