Re: nanosleep

On 7/6/07, Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/07/07, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli <chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/6/07, hari krishna angadi <reachtohari@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > hi all,
> >          I am porting  from 2.4 to 2.6, There is a  problem,  a user space
> > code which should be pushed to kernel space(driver module). In the user
> > program there is a  nanosleep()  function i need to know the respective
> > kernel routine for nanosleep.
>
> kernel does not have something like sleep, it just schedules a new
> process in that time.

Not true, you have udelay(), ndelay(), mdelay(), msleep(), ssleep()
and the *_interruptible() versions...

So you do have functions to delay or sleep in the kernel.

My mistake, kinda missed out on these interfaces. I thought you had to
do it on your own using timers etc, for which these functions provide
a very clean and portable interface.

And if you don't want the kernel to preempt you you can disable
preemption while doing your sleeping...  not very well behaved kernel
code, but you can do it...

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

--
The box said "Requires Windows Vista or better." So I installed LINUX