Re: probe error code -17

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:28:14AM -0500, Dinesh wrote:
>  Hello,
>
>  I am developing a driver for one of our PCIe based boards. When I install
>  the first time, all the four input channels on the card are correctly
>  enumerated in dmesg. When I uninstall the driver, I get no error messages.
>  However, when I load the driver the second time, I get the following errors
>  in dmesg:
>
>  sdim_qie: SDI Q/i detected, firmware version 0.1 (0x0001)
>  sdim_qie: unable to register class_device

Ick, that's not good.  Can you enable debugging for the driver core
(it's a config option) and send the full output that happens here?

Also, please realize that struct class_device is going away, please use
just a "struct device" instead.

And, do you have a pointer to your code anywhere?  It's looking like you
are just registering a device the second time without removing the first
one, or using the same name the second time.

>  sdim_qie: probe of 0000:02:04.0 failed with error -17
>
>  It goes through the correct loop, detects the card and reads the firmware
>  version correctly and fails to enumerate the channels.
>
>  Can anybody tell me what this error code -17 points to?

It's a error number in the kernel, look in errno.h for what it means.

thanks,

greg k-h