Re: example device driver with manufacturer's specification

thanks Greg.. that is really really cool.. so if i'm not mistaking RTL8139C+.pdf.bz2 is specification associated with driver source/drivers/net/8139cp.c.. if it is then it is really cool as I've been taking that source as my base reference to learn many things. please correct me if i'm wrong..
         i've one more question.. I've this Linksys PCI Wireless ethernet adapater (WMP11.. i don't know the revision).. as far as i know.. it is only known to work with ndiswrapper till this date.. so i was thinking to write driver or at least experiment  with it..
         so the thing i wanted to know was device id.. i looked it up with "lspci -vv" and it was there.. i looked up the bus it was connected with under /sys/bus/pci/<bus#>/deivces and it showed me vendor id to be 0x14e4 and device id to be 0x4301.. also.. "lspci -vv" identified vendor as Broadcomm Corp. and enlisted "Linksys" as subsystem.. now 0x14e4 indeed is Broadcomm's vendor id whereas Linksys' vendor id is 0x1737.. so my question is: given this info.. can i trust 0x4301 to be correct device id ??
         I will really appreciate your help.

/tejas

On 6/13/07, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli < chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/14/07, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/13/07, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli <chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/12/07, tejas khatiwala < socretez@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > Hello,
> >          I'm trying to develop device driver; specifically Network device
> drivers. I've done my reading which includes LDD3 (almost all chapters),
> bunch of articles at Linuxjournal, few driver codes in Linux source (
> 8139cp.c, loopback.c etc). The code flow makes sense to me but I really am
> not comfortable with the code which is hardware specific.
> >          If I had a device driver with its manufacturer's specification,
> it would be helpful for me to understand various design issues for a
> particular hardware; at least it will provide me an example. I couldn't find
> any. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.
>
> I think the Realtek 8139 chipset's HW specification is open. I remember it
> was some PDF file that I got off google. You can try that I guess

http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/realtek/

There are several others in the specs directory.  I think everything
there is open.

Thanks a ton, Greg. I was never able to find a consolidated site for many specs like this till now.

FYI: Not everything in the specs folder is a nic spec, but many of them are.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group

Bhanu.

--
The box said "Requires Windows Vista or better." So I installed LINUX