Re: example device driver with manufacturer's specification

On 6/13/07, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli <chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/12/07, tejas khatiwala <socretez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>          I'm trying to develop device driver; specifically Network device
drivers. I've done my reading which includes LDD3 (almost all chapters),
bunch of articles at Linuxjournal, few driver codes in Linux source (
8139cp.c, loopback.c etc). The code flow makes sense to me but I really am
not comfortable with the code which is hardware specific.
>          If I had a device driver with its manufacturer's specification,
it would be helpful for me to understand various design issues for a
particular hardware; at least it will provide me an example. I couldn't find
any. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

I think the Realtek 8139 chipset's HW specification is open. I remember it
was some PDF file that I got off google. You can try that I guess

http://gkernel.sourceforge.net/specs/realtek/

There are several others in the specs directory.  I think everything
there is open.

FYI: Not everything in the specs folder is a nic spec, but many of them are.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group