Re: readb macro

On 6/13/07, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli <chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/13/07, Devvrat Tripathi < tripathidevvrat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/13/07, Bhanu Kalyan Chetlapalli < chbhanukalyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/13/07, Devvrat Tripathi <tripathidevvrat@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
it just stops working. something is printed and after that nothing happens. I dont get an error message

I would suggest you use a mechanism, where you enable printk *only* when you need it like below.

static __always_inline __u32 __readl(const volatile void __iomem *addr)
{
     if (some_global_variable)
            printk("r bytes 4 addr %p \n",addr);
     return *(__force volatile __u32 *)addr;
}

Set the variable through some proc interface or so.

thats what i am thinking to do but i am not sure how to know that it is the console initialisation which is the problem or is it something else.

I am *not* suggesting a way to find out why printk in readb is causing issues during bootup or so. Rather, My suggestion was about - how you can use this approach and overcome those issues to work on the MMIO stuff you were talking about.

yeah i got it but i am not sure whether the same thing  wont happen _after_ bootup or not.anyway thats a good idea and i guess i can try it and see if it solves the problem.