Re: visualization and jiffies

is that the 9th field in /proc/stat
$ grep '^cpu ' /proc/stat |awk '{print $9}

So my second question is the stole jiffies bucket. Does that include
jiffies stole from the idle bucket?

And now that i have 8 fields (excluding cpu) in the first line of
/proc/stat can i still total all of them and thats how many jiffies my
guest has been up?

Eli Criffield

On 4/23/07, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eli Criffield wrote:
> On a guests (or domU or whatever) that are sharing a single CPU what
> bucket to jiffies go into when a guest waits for its turn on the CPU?.

In paravirtualized situations, eg. Xen, s390, zSeries and IBM PPC64,
the time in which a virtual cpu (1) had a task to run but (2) was
not actually running, is counted as steal time.

> So if a guest wants a 100% of the cpu, but only gets 50% because
> another guests  (of the same priority) running on the same cpu wants
> 100% too, where does it put the jiffies that have passed while it
> wanted to do something but didn't have the cpu?

Since 2.6.11, steal time.

Before 2.6.11, some unlucky task would get billed for the time.

In a fully virtualized environment, where the guest OS has no
idea that it is running in a virtual machine, some unlucky task
will get billed for the time used by another virtual machine.

There are some other advantages to paravirtualization:

http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/ParavirtBenefits

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is.  Each group