Re: meaning of kernel error messages

On Monday 26 March 2007 12:13:07 Rajat Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Presently I'm trying to understand an oops saying "Unable to handle
> > kernel paging request at ..." and I'm not sure what that messages means
> > at all.
>
> In a nutshell, it means that the kernel tried to access a virtual
> address that it is not supposed to access. Now *what* caused the

Thanks, at least I have an idea now which part of the function to look at.

> kernel to try to access that memory location is the real root culprit
> that you need to figure out.

Yeah, thats usually that way, also with userspace programs (only with
userspace applications I have more experience and usually know what the
errors mean).

Thanks again,
Bernd

--
Bernd Schubert
Q-Leap Networks GmbH / transtec AG / ttec