Re: Help with writing device driver for RS-485 transceiver

WANG Zhen wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to write a device driver for two MAX3085Es (a kind of
half-duplex RS-485 transceiver, more product info can be found at
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2338) which are
connected to S3C2410's UART1 (TXD1 & RXD1), EINT6 (External INTerrupt)
and UART2 (TXD2 & RXD2), EINT7 respectively.

According to the schematic, my intention is:
when there is data arrives on the RS-485 serial line, an external
interrupt (EINT6 or EINT7) would be triggered, and an user space
application (process) would be informed by the interrupt service
routine, and then the application could access the data using a
specific device node under /dev (for example, /dev/max3085e).

So my questions are as follows:
1) How to write a device driver for MAX3085E according to my scenario?

2) Further, how could the application be informed by interrupt service routine?

I am a Linux device driver newbie, any hints would be highly
appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hi,

you can convert the RS485 voltage levels into RS232 and then you can use the S3C2410 uarts without having to write any driver. Do you also need to be able to send data or only receive data?

Chris.