Re: recursive locking in linux?

El Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:03:21AM -0400 Robert P. J. Day ha dit:

> however, it's not clear that you can replace those (semaphore-based)
> "MUTEX"es with a real mutex, since mutexes aren't just semaphores with
> an initial count of 1, they have extra restrictions as we've already
> discussed here.

semantically correct code should use MUTEXes like mutexes and not rely
on features specifics to semaphores (release from interrupt, release by
non-owner).

> if one wanted to go through the kernel tree and replace semaphores
> with mutexes, one would have to be *very* careful to do that only
> where the semantics made sense, no?

i agree, and probably s/he should convert MUTEXes that act like binary
semapharores to SEMAPHOREs in order to avoid confusion in the future.

m.

--
              Comunicar bichos a <bug-coreutils@xxxxxxx>
                     (LANG=es_ES uname --help)