Re: recursive locking in linux?

On 3/19/07, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I may be wrong, but from what I understand, the count passed in the
> semaphore initialization
>
> sema_init(sem, count);
>
> is the number of threads that are allowed to hold the semaphore
> simultaneously (no of threads that are allowed to enter their critical
> sections simultaneously). So can't a semaphore be actually held
> recursively?

having multiple holders doesn't imply allowing recursion!

just think of this: say you set the count such that 2 holders are
allowed.

your code then does

down(&sem);
down(&sem);

and most of the time this will work.

until another instance of your code runs in parallel:

cpu 0               cpu 1

down(&sem);
                   down(&sem)

down(&sem); <- dead