Re: notifiers to user space

Hi,

On 3/11/07, Tzahi Fadida <Tzahi.ML2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 11 March 2007 17:47, Ramagudi Naziir wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Do anyone have an idea how to send a notifier to a user space application ?
>
> I can do char device or socket, and let the user poll it, but it feels
> like an overkill..

I am just a newbie here, but isn't writing a kernel space code an overkill too
for something that you consider just opening a unix socket is an overkill?

But I live in the kernel. I have some kernel event that I must notify about
to the application. and the overkill I talk about is the kernel-side. of course
that opening a socket is easy, but in the kernel I need to write the code
to serve it (look for NETLINK sockets for more info).

> What about signals ? is it reliable ?

And how would you know what to signal.
I think that usually you open a char device and wait/non-block read write.
Perhaps you can use ioctl to tell the driver you are interested in a signal,
but, you have to write the driver which is an overkill? :)

I am writing the driver. this is a precondition. now the only question is
how will it notify a specific user application about some event
(for more info - i have some GPIO interrupt I need to report about).
for signals i need to know the pid of the application, which is a drawback,
so i guess it is not an option.

Thanks,
naziir.

> I wish there was a user-space form of the notifiers mechanism...
>
> Thank You
> naziir
>
> --

Regards,