Re: Doubt regarding memory

On Sunday 04 March 2007 14:21, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> > I have a feeling i did not understand how many virtual pages the MMU can
> > address. Can anyone correct me/clarify?
>
> Neither do I, I am still reading about it. So, if you can help us here
> clarifying this issue, personally I welcome your help.

Well, i checked it out again and i misscalculated a bit. You actually can
address the whole 4gb. It works like this: You have a Page Directory Page
(PDP) which contains 1024 entries of 4 bytes that each points to a Page Table
Page (PTP) that each contains 1024 entries of 4 bytes that points to a 4096
bytes pages of physical memory. i.e. 1024 * 1024 * 4096 = 4gb of addressable
memory. Once you wish to do context switching, you change the CR3 register to
points to the process's PDP. I also understand that some architectures cache
some of this page tables and when you need another part of the table it is
assisted by hardware/software, which is what got me confused of how much it
can hold in the first place. I was probably looking at the cache instead of
the real table.

--
Regards,
        Tzahi.