Re: Is the TCP code threaded?

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 07:51, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi...
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been looking quite deeply into the TCP-code, but there is one
> > thing I simply dont manage to understand. Can the code process more
> > than one skb on a socket at the time, or is it strictly one and one?
>
> Maybe I didn't do the exploration as deep as you are, but since I read
> that all those packets are handled in soft irq context and there is one
> soft irq handler (ksoftirqd) per CPU, it is possible to handle more than
> one packet *at the very  same time* in multi core/multi processor machine

I was reading something related to that in LDD3 ->Allocating Memory -> Per CPU
variables. They use an example where each cpu carries a counter for packets
and these counters are not atomic over all the cpus (but perhaps per cpu). If
you want to know how many packets have passed, you are supposed to sum up the
counters from all the cpus. These suggests that perhaps there is a relation
between the packets each cpu handles thus, you might say this is handled
multi process wise.

--
Regards,
        Tzahi.