Re: Kernel module that catches a syscall (i/o event)

> The original question from Liran was about the open read write syscalls,
> however, i am interested more in the I/O of a process so it suits my
> purposes. I am looking to see if there is a way to measure per process I/O
> like a TaskManager in windows does. Obviously, there are other problems with
> the submit_bio function that it does not measure dirtied buffers which i
> believe are being updated by a kupdated process.  I.e., you will also have to
> change something in the kupdated process to tell you for which process he is
> doing the de-dirty buffering :).

yeah in Linux a lot of IO is done by "background" stuff, not by the apps
that dirty the data in the first place. The mmap case is just the most
ultimate example. EXT3 data ordered mode is just another example of
this.

But in general it's really not easy. For example.. In Linux, if 2 apps
write to the same file (not theoretical, just think of logfiles) in the
end only 1 IO is actually done. Even if you could identify one of the
dirtiers.. the question is.. how to account this?

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org