Re: HTTP server as a Kernel module

A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
Q: Were do I find info about this thing called top-posting?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

A: No.
Q: Should I leave quotations after my reply?

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 01:40:44AM +0800, Dong Feng wrote:
> There has been one, made by a Chinese military university.

There is Ingo Molnar's TUX, which should be able to speed up serving
static content (IOW: you still need Apache for dynamic content). During
Linux-2.2 there was also the khttpd module which could do the same but
wasn't as fast as TUX.

> But it is really useless. Because one should never put anything to the
> kernel when it is not have to be put into. And this significantly
> increase the system weakness under attack.

That's one of the reasons it will never be merged.

Ingo also knows that and that's why he continues to work on getting it
done from userland, see for example his recent "syslet" patches on the
linux-kernel mailing list.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery