debugging the kernel with gdb

  a quick question regarding debugging the currently-running kernel
with gdb.  after compiling the kernel with debugging info and
rebooting, i started the debugger with:

  # gdb vmlinux /proc/kcore

and, as a test, tried:

  (gdb) print jiffies

what i got printed was a *negative* number, which struck me as odd --
it was around -150000.  it took only a few minutes for that to finally
click over zero and become positive but is there some reason that the
number of jiffies since boot time would display as negative, at least
temporarily?

rday

p.s.  i checked the System.map file for the kernel and located the hex
address for "jiffies" and printed that as well, and it matched what i
got from the previous command, so that makes me think i am at least
printing the correct address contents.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page