Re: submitting a patch questions

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:17:08PM +0200, Ramagudi Naziir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 1/17/07, Erik Mouw <mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 11:13:21AM +0200, Ramagudi Naziir wrote:
> >> Is there a way to unroll a commit ?
> >
> >Yes, git-revert.
>
> I am a little puzzled here.

git-revert creates a new commit that undoes the commit you're pointing
it at. You usually do that to actually show in the development history:
"I've tried this, but it was a bad idea so I reverted the whole thing".

If that's not what you want, you can also go back using "git reset
--hard committish", where committish is either a tag, or a SHA1 ID.
Just start from there and all you've done is basically a dead "branch"
in the development history.

> I pulled a new tree. I did some work. I committed my file. I did some more
> work,
> on the same file.
> I want to create a single diff with everything, so I want to revert my
> first commit
> and do a new one that will reflect everything i did.
> How do I do this ?

I think it's easier to commit your current changes and tell git diff
you want a diff with everything:

  git diff committish.. myfile

> And afterwards, after I have one clean commit with all the changes,
> how do I send the patch (git diff HEAD^ HEAD | mail LKML ?).

Depends. The lkml people don't really like one large diff with all
changes but rather small patch series that do small logical steps. If
possible, send small logical steps. That makes your patches easier to
review and easier to be accepted. See Documentation/SubmittingPatches
for more information.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery