Re: Accessing a file from kernel space

I am working on things which requires lot of data to be sent to the module continuously.
Yes, an aquisition system. The real work has not started yet, I was just trying to figure out
how to go about it.

On 2/2/07, Jon Masters <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pharaoh . wrote:

> I know that this should be avoided as much as possibleI know this must
> have been discussed here many times before, and I know the various ways
> I can read a file from my module. But I am not very sure what is the
> best way to do so. Let me list out my approaches ranging from very crude
> to standard ones which we read in books.

> 3. Using sysfs.

It'd be best to know what you're trying to do. But generally, pushing to
the kernel from userspace (yeah, I know, twice the fun) is better than
even remotely thinking about using sys_* from in-kernel. Rule is:

* If you're using sys_<insert function here>, it's wrong.

But tell us more about what you're trying to do. Do you just need a
userspace library to parse some config data and shove it into the kernel
or do you need a high performance, high throughput data stream for some
highly reliable hardware acquisition system?

Jon.