Re: how to empty cache

Using just a web browser as an example, there are many layers of cache.
For example, the web browser will cache pages it downloads on your
harddisk.  This can usually easily be cleared.  If you have any proxies
between you and the internet, they may also cache pages - these can
often be defeated by adding ?my=chin or other query string garbage to
the end of a URL, as the proxy will think it's a different page.

There are also filesystem caches on the harddisk, which store recently
read/written files, and several layers of CPU cache.