Re: Makefile targets for generating Kernel configuration (defconfig / oldconfig etc) (was Re: Custom kernel and distribution)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Rajat Jain wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a some related queries regarding the Makefile targets for
> generating configuration (.config).
>
> 1) make oldconfig: It reads the existing .config and checks if it
> contains the required configuration options to build the kernel. Any
> missing options are prompted from the user, and any extra options
> are ignored. The result is ofcourse a modified .config. Is this
> understanding correct?

this is correct.  and if you want to automate accepting the default
answer for each of those questions, you can run:

  $ yes '' | make oldconfig

if you're feeling confident that this is what you really want.

> 2) make defconfig: copies a default configuration file (different
> for each architecture / board) into .config. Now where is this
> "default configuration file" saved?

  $ find arch -name defconfig

> 3) When we untar a vanila kernel and make menuconfig for the first
> time, where does it load the defaults from? Does the distribution /
> currently running kernel / the host machine architecture have any
> role to play?

see above.

rday