Makefile targets for generating Kernel configuration (defconfig / oldconfig etc) (was Re: Custom kernel and distribution)

Hi list,

I have a some related queries regarding the Makefile targets for
generating configuration (.config).

1) make oldconfig: It reads the existing .config and checks if it
contains the required configuration options to build the kernel. Any
missing options are prompted from the user, and any extra options are
ignored. The result is ofcourse a modified .config. Is this
understanding correct?

2) make defconfig: copies a default configuration file (different for
each architecture / board) into .config. Now where is this "default
configuration file" saved?

3) When we untar a vanila kernel and make menuconfig for the first
time, where does it load the defaults from? Does the distribution /
currently running kernel / the host machine architecture have any role
to play?

Thanks,

Rajat