Re: regarding kgdb in ppc

I'm facing the same problem for almost two weeks and still don't have
a clue. Please keep me in the thread. Thanks!

- Reeve

On 12/24/06, sudheer <urwithsudheer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hello All

Hi Shakti

> > Then executed the command mkinird and copied and added  initrd in the
> > grub.conf - situation is same.
> > I changed the root parameter to LABEL=/ - situation is same.
>
> Basically, block device, initrd support for ramdisk should be enabled:
>   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
>   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
>
> Double check your .config file.

 I have checked all the above and are enabled in the config.  I have tried
changing the kernel command line argumnets.

 I get the same error saying:  (All from init/main.c)
 ----
 unable to open an initial console
 No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
 -----
 I am able to debug the kernel on x86 systems. Thanks for all the support.

 Now I am working with  kgdb on mpc8540 board.
 target kernel version - linux-2.6.13
 KGDB version - linux-2.6.13-kgdb-2.3

 I am getting the following error:

 root@localhost sudheer]# /opt/eldk-3.1.1/usr/bin/ppc_85xx-gdb vmlinux
 GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-1.21_1rh)
 This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-redhat-linux --target=ppc-linux"...
 (gdb) set remotebaud 115200
 (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
 Remote debugging using /dev/ttyS0
 Ignoring packet error, continuing...

 On the target side, i could see that the target kernel kgdb waiting for
host communication.

 On the target board with  kernel version - linux-2.6.13 , I could boot it
only after applying the patches:
 1. Gain_Phy_update
 2.patch-2.6.14-rc5
 3.Phy_Platform_Update
 The patch-2.6.14-rc5  when applied , deleted the file
arch/ppc/platforms/pcore.c and
 pcore.h but the kernel boots well.

 In the KGDB version - linux-2.6.13-kgdb-2.3
 The ppc-lite.patch tries to modify the pcore.c which is not available.

 I am not sure wether this affects the serial communication establishment.

 Please help me to solve this.

 Thanks
 Sudheer