Re: Device entries in sysfs

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 08:25:34AM +0530, ANIL JACOB wrote:

> Hi Maneesh ,
>  I am a newbie in linux kernel hacking. I am having a doubt about the device
> entries for the new kernels.
>
> Earlier it used to be in the /dev directories and my understanding is, it is
> gradually being removed from the dev directory to some other directory . But
> looking through the /sys directory where the nodes corresponding to kobjects
> is mounted , I got the idea that it is just listing some properties of the
> concerned devices [ Kobject in fact ].
>  So where exactly is the device entries going to be ?
>  If it is moved how will I be able to get that devices ?
>  I am trying to write a device driver for an rtc chip .So where can I read
> and write the device from ?
>  If it is moved from the dev directory wont it affect the programs so far ?
>
> Please clarify my doubt. Thanks in advance .
>
> Regards
> Anil Jacob

As per my understandings they are still in /dev but if you are on any modern
distro they will be created as per the devices present, by udev. BTW, you are
right about the sysfs that it shows properties of the devices. I would suggest
you read the O'Reilly book, "Linux Device Drivers, third edition".

Thanks
Maneesh

PS: Added kernelnewbies mailing list to cc list.