Detecting connectivity loss

Hi,

I'm considering developing a program that is able to detect when the
connectivity to the Internet has been lost, e.g. we are in a local
network and the gateway is not working, even though it is not fried
and answers to ping).

Symptoms of this would be, lost TCP connections, being unable to start
some TCP connections to hosts external to our LAN and DNS requests
timeouts (this one is not crucial since there could be a local DNS
server). I do not want the program to start specific TCP connections
or DNS request, but to notice when those launched by any process in
the system fail. Any hint?

--
,_,
(O,O)        Luis Carlos Cobo Rus            - luisca