Re: ext3 file system info

On 11/7/06, s prashant <sprashant16@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/7/06, dreamfly281 < dreamfly281@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nishan Naseer wrote:

> On 11/7/06, *Deepak Joshi* <deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto: deepak_cins@xxxxxxxxxxx >> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I am very new to ext3 file system. I want to write a simple module
>     by using which i can get the inode of file if i will give the name
>     of the file. i read about the inode structure. But couldn't able
>     to make out how to start.
>
>     Please help me in writing this module. and please help me in
>     understanding complete ext3 file system.
>
>     Thanks and Regards,
>     Deepak Joshi.
>
>     Send instant messages to your online friends
>     http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
>

> You can read th einfo pag eof libext2fs. The header files are also
> well documented.
>

>  ~
>    cheers,
>      nishan.

I think you can get it by call path_lookup(const char *path, unsigned
flags, struct nameidata *nd)

BR
lyb

"path_lookup" may not be exported by some kernel versions, instead you can use "path_init" and "path_walk" together to get the inode info.  Further you will get the inode info from the dentry field in nameidata structure. See the code of path_lookup if you have any doubts.

regards
prashant.

read "chapter 12. the virtual file system" from "understanding  the linux kernel", especially 12.4 and 12.5 to understand the underlying concepts.

Regards,
Sunil Agham